Baked Apples - The Australian Women's Weekly


I have cooked from this cookbook before when I made this chicken dish


I first laid eyes on this beauty in my sister-in-laws house and knew I had to buy it. Tried and tested recipes harking from my mother-land; delights such as lamingtons, pavlova, meat pies, sausage rolls!  oh.my! 

Being an ex-pat, and especially in corona virus pandemic times, where I have literally been unable to fly home, the tastes of Australia seem a long way away. And suddenly this cookbook and its recipes inside have become even more important to me! 

And that brings me to these apples.  There is not much more of a dish that makes me think of home.  Warm apples, cinnamon, butter and sugar, all covered in a blob of softening vanilla ice-cream!  Yes please!


But these apples - yum!



See the amazing sauce that is generated from this dish.  OMG - my favorite, except maybe, the for sauce that is created in this pear dish!



And if you don't like apples, trust me, there is nothing more delicious than cleaning up the "small bowl" that stuffs the apples - that in itself is worth making these apples for!



So, here you are:

Ingredients:

4 large apples - the recipe calls for granny smiths, I didn't use these

50 g butter, melted

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sultanas (raisins)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and I threw in a dash of all spice

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 160 degrees C, or 320 degrees F, fanforced
2) Core the apples, and socre around center of each apple (otherwise they will explode when cooked)
3) Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl (except, of course the apples) and then stuff the apples with the butter goodness
4) Bake apples for 45 minutes
5) Top with vanilla icecream.  It's a must!


Comments