Instant Pot - Butter Chicken: A review and modifications

Today, we used the instant pot for the first time.  It was as amazing as everybody said it would be!

The Typical Mom's website is awesome, and I highly recommend going there!  She is where I got my first instant pot recipe from.


Day 1, day awesome.

This is a really easy Instant Pot butter chicken recipe that is moist and full of flavor. It only takes 5 minutes to cook and the perfect family dinner with a side of naan. If you're never tried making pressure cooker butter chicken this is an easy one to start with. Add your own spices to make it just right for you! #instantpot #butterchicken #butter #chicken #indian #food #dinner #easy #recipe #simple
Photo is from The Typical Mom's website!!  

And really, I just made butter chicken... hello, butter chicken people... the delicious and flavor filled Indian dish that is our number one order when we go to any Indian restaurant... and this little ol' Australian girl just made it!!  In her instant pot!!!

And it took 4 minutes to cook, once it was all in!!

What?!

This is living in the modern time.  I really think this machine will literally change my life.  I'm SO EXCITED to use it for eternity.


Here are the modifications that I would make WHEN I make it again... the modifications are just in the spices and the amount of cream and are highlighted in green.  All my modifications are below, please go to Justine's website for her original recipe.




Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
5 mins
Total Time
15 mins

Course: Entree, Main Course
Cuisine: Indian
Keyword: butter, chicken noodle soup, easy, indian, instant pot, pressure cooker
Servings6
Calories574 kcal
AuthorThe Typical Mom
d

Ingredients
  • 6 chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup heavy cream (Justine uses 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 c tomato sauce
  • 1/2 onion
  • 5 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp chopped ginger
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tbsp corn starch optional - put the corn starch in AFTER the chicken is cooked, otherwise the instant pot will make the "burn" signal

Top with: cilantro and a sweet chutney, like mango chutney or apricot jam!!  
Instructions
  1. Turn your Instant Pot to saute, medium, and add butter.
  2. When butter is melted add cubed chicken and onion.
  3. Cook just enough for chicken pieces to cook just a touch on the outside.
  4. Add all other ingredients into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and mix together well.
  5. Put lid on and close steam valve.
  6. Set Instant Pot to manual, pressure, low, for 5 minutes. (enough time if cut into bite size pieces, if larger pieces increase time)
  7. When done move steam valve just slightly so steam comes out slowly.
  8. Carefully lift lid. Serve immediately or remove chicken and set to saute low for just a few minutes. Put some of the hot liquid in a small bowl with 1 tbsp of cornstarch and whisk together, add back into the pot and stir. May do this again with another tbsp. depending on how thick you want the sauce to be.
  9. Sauce will thicken more as it sits. Turn off, add chicken back in, and serve with rice and/or naan.

Angie's rating: 
Thanks Justine.  I give you 4.5/5 stars for this one.  I would give you 5/5, but we did need to add a little salt, and I think some of the other spices will take it up to the next level!

Comments

  1. This is going to be my first instapot recipe as well. I am excited to try it. I think I am going to leave out the cinnamon this time because I think the kiddos would prefer it w/o. I am excited to have located your page for more recipes. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super excited you wanted to try it! I hope you liked it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment