Angie's version of Sweet Potato Cashew Bake

I love sweet potato casserole. 


This is my favorite dish at Thanksgiving, and also at Christmas.  But the mid-west version is a little too sickly sweet for me, and in my opinion should be on the desert table.  When my friend, Trish, brought THIS version of the casserole to Thanksgiving one year, I was in love!  Here is the recipe, but a little less sugar than was originally called for. 

Ingredients - Serves 5-6 people
3 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/3 cup broken cashews
1/4 teaspoon of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 8 oz can of peach slices
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup small marshmallows


Directions

1) Preheat over to 350 degrees
2) Cook the sweet potatoes by boiling them in a saucepan until they are soft, then chop them into 1/2 inch discs
3) Combine brown sugar, cashews, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl
4) Drain peaches well
5) in a basking dish, layer half each of the sweet potatoes, peach slices and brown sugar mixture
6) Repeat layers
7) Dot with butter and scatter with marshmallows
8) Bake for 30 minutes, uncover, bake about 10 minutes longer to brown
9) Enjoy


Comments