Miniture Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumbles

My step-mother-in-law is an amazing cook.  With my husband away, she came up last weekend to spend time with me and the children.  We all strolled jammed into a packed car and headed to the Portland Farmer's Market for a relaxing  wild run around of the children in crowded conditions.

However, the sun was shining, the birds were chirping, a band was grooving, and our discovery below made the untamed energy of the children all worth it.  As a side note, not more than a few seconds after this picture was snapped, the children began using the rhubarb as drum sticks on the containers, both dancing up and down in a very fine rhythm... very polite and restrained!  I do believe you can actually see my son arming himself with 2 drumsticks of rhubarb in this first picture. Can't you just see his little brain spinning... "yes, these will make awesome drumsticks."  I, of course, am taking this picture thinking "look at that gorgeous rhubarb," totally innocent of what is about to commence before my eyes.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Anyway...

Rhubarb... aka "Drumsticks!"
My step-mother-in-law Pam, being Pam, happened to have an excellent Rhubarb and Strawberry crumble up her sleve, and so she whipped it up for us last weekend.  It was so delicious, that I had to make it again, and it just so happened that she had chopped up the exact 3 cups of rhubarb required for the recipe and left it in the fridge.  Now that is what makes life easier in a food blogger's world... so appreciated, Pam!


I changed the recipe a tiny bit, and we both thought of ways we could adapt it, which I actually didn't do for my own attempt this time, but which I still think would be excellent additions to this very easy crumble.  A splash of lemon with the mixture, and definitely some vanilla bean is what we both decided would be AMAZING!  But here is the crumble with my small, un-lemon and un-vanilla modifications:

Individual Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumbles


by Pam - my mother in law - and adapted (less sugar and butter) by me


Ingredients
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups sliced rhubarb
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups sliced strawberries

For the crumble part:
1 cup oats
6 tablespoons of butter 
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
sprinkle of ginger

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2) Combine cornstarch with granulated sugar, and mix with rhubarb
3) Combine brown sugar with strawberries, and mix with rhubarb mixture
4) Place into an 8 inch square dish, or individual ramekins
5) Cook between 35-45 minutes.

Yum!



Comments

Post a Comment