Maple Syrup and Dried Fruit Granola


I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and it is delicious!  The best part is that I know the name of every ingredient that goes into it (unlike my kids' cereal from boxes), and it is all whole foods!  And the kids helped me make it!  Whoop, whoop



Granola
Ingredients
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
1 cup of nuts, I used pecans, can also be walnuts
1/4 toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons olive oil (I forgot to add this in my first batch, and it turned out great!) So optional.
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg white
1 1/2 cups dried cherries, or other dried fruit

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



2) Combine all ingredients but the egg whit and dried fruit in a large bowel, tossing to coat evenly.

3) Whisk the egg white in a small bowl until frothy

4) Stir into the granola mixture.

5) Spread it in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet

6) Bake for 45-55 minutes.  Half way through the baking time, use a large spatula to turn over sections of the granola carefully.  When feels dry to the touch, remove



7) Cool on cooling rack.  Add fruit once cooled, and gobble gobble, gobble.

Comments