Carrot and Orange Soup

"If you’re there, dear reader, welcome to the beginning." 
Molly from Orangette

Gulp. The beginning.


I am writing this blog, well, simply put, because I've been inspired.


About 3 months ago, I glimpsed, for the first time, a food blog.  


I have no idea how I lived up through 2012 without knowing about the existence of food blogs, but it happened.  I knew loosely they existed, but had no interest or curiosity about a food blog.  Then, I somehow stumbled upon Je Mange La Ville. My whole world was opened to photos, food and recipes, at the click of a button. 


Now, my world has been forever changed.   I've been allured and lost into a world of beauty.  So many stunning blogs!  The artistry, the exquisiteness, and the actual recipes have blown my mind. 

And I want to participate in this beauty and in this world.  


And I want to organize my recipe binder so that I can actually find recipes that I like, that my children like, and that are all in one place.  So, what better thing to do than write a blog and take photos of food!  


So, big breath, here is the very first recipe I'm posting.  I need to use the produce blooming from my garden, and next year, when I start my garden again, and have a surplus of produce, I want to know what to do with it.  Drum roll.......


Carrot and Orange Soup - from the Essential Vegetarian Cookbook



Recipe

500g (1lb) carrots
30 g(1oz) butter
1/2 cup (125ml/4 fl oz) orange juice
4-5 cups (1-1.25 litres) vegetable stock
1 small onion, roughly chopped
3-4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
salt and pepper
sour cream and nutmeg, for serving

Instructions:


1) Peel and slice the carrots (try not to make such a mess as I did!)






2) Place carrots and butter in a large heavy -based pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 


3) Add the orange juice, stock and onions




4) Bring to a boil

5) Add thyme, salt and pepper.




6) Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.  Allow to cool


7) Process the mixture.  


8) Serve into bowls. Top each with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with nutmeg.  Yum.


Comments